Latest travel advice updates
News from 2013
- Help us improve our Smartraveller app! Whether or not you have the app, or even have a compatible device, we'd love to hear your views via this super-short survey.
- Smartraveller 'Travel Tales' Competition winners. Thank you to all the people who entered the Smartraveller 'Travel Tales' Competition. The competition attracted a wide range of heart-tugging, hilarious, terrifying, and gut-wrenching travel stories. Congratulations to the winners:
- First place: Natalie Hensby
- Second place: Deborah Sugden
- Third place: Alison Burdon
News from 2012
- Have you seen Erin's story? Do you have your own tale to tell? Share your travel tales for the chance to win a share of $6000 in travel vouchers. Enter our competition and tell us how you were a Smartraveller or how you wished you had taken Smartraveller precautions. For more info see our travel tales competition website.
- Smartraveller is on Facebook. Join us for travel advice updates and tips on travelling safely while still having fun.
- The Smartraveller iPhone app is now available in the App Store. The app features location aware travel advice updates and access to Smartraveller advice without the need for an internet connection, along with easy repeat travel registration using saved information.
- Information for dual nationals, travelling seniors and on staying well overseas is now available in seven languages other than English: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Hindi and Indonesian
- Did you know that it is illegal to take Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines out of Australia unless the medicine is for your personal use, or the personal use of someone travelling with you? Learn more on our prescription medicines page.
- Travelling to Turkey or France for ANZAC Day? Be sure to read and subscribe to our ANZAC Day travel advice before you go.
- Australians affected by the cancellation of Air Australia services from Phuket, Denpasar and Honolulu should get in touch with their travel agent and/or insurance company to organise alternative flights. See our travel bulletin for more information.
- The Attorney-General has announced that from 1 February 2012 Australians seeking to enter into a same-sex marriage overseas will be able to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.
- Travelling to Thailand? Take a look at our new Visiting Thailand video and don't forget to read our travel advice for Thailand. If you'd like to view all our travel advice videos, take a look at the playlists on our video page.
News from 2011
- Are you a Child Support customer heading overseas at Christmas? Child Support (CS) reminds customers travelling overseas this holiday season to make sure their child support payments are up to date. For more information, see our Children page.
- Take a look at our three new TV ads on YouTube. They highlight the importance of registering your travel plans, reading and subscribing to our travel advice, and taking out comprehensive travel insurance before you leave Australia.
- Our free online learning for travel agents is now available. The program is designed for travel agents but is available to anyone who would like to learn more about Smartraveller and the consular services provided the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- We now feature videos in selected travel advisories filmed by our counsular officers. If you'd like to view all our travel advice videos, take a look at the playlists on our video page. We'll be adding new videos from time to time, so check back soon if you'd like to see more.
- Notice something different? Read all about our new website, TV ads and more. We welcome your feedback, so let us know what you think.